1 hour 40 minutes
Makes 8 servings (1/8 slice of meatloaf, 1/4 cup cucumber-yogurt sauce)
Athenian Beef Meatloaf with Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce
Meatloaf takes a turn towards Greece with this easy recipe! Add Greek seasoning to a standard meatloaf mixture and finish it off with a creamy cucumber sauce. This Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. recipe is certified by the American Heart Association®.
- 2 pounds Ground Beef (96% lean)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons dried Greek seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain, low-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine Ground Beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, egg, 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning and salt in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
Shape beef mixture into 10 x 4-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan. Bake in 350ºF oven 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Meanwhile, combine yogurt, cucumber and remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons Greek seasoning in medium bowl. Season with salt, as desired. Set aside.
Let stand 10 mninutes; cut into slices. Serve with cucumber-yogurt sauce.
Alternate Cooking Method
- This recipe can be made in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker. Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, egg, 1 tablespoon dried Greek seasoning and salt in a large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Pour 3/4 cup water into pressure cooker; set pressure cooker rack in water. To make a foil sling, cut a 28-inch piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil (or layer two pieces of regular foil) and punch 6 to 8 holes in it using a kitchen fork or small knife. Form beef mixture into an 8 x 4-inch loaf on the foil sling over the holes. Lower the meatloaf with the sling onto the pressure cooker rack. Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use beef, stew or high pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 25 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Let the meatloaf stand in pressure cooker for 10 minutes. Continue as directed in Step 3 to prepare Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid. Using foil sling, transfer meatloaf to cutting board; remove foil and cut meatloaf into 8 slices. Serve with Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce. (This recipe variation was tested in an electric pressure cooker at high altitude. Cooking at an altitude of less than 3000 feet may require slightly less cooking time. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions.)
198 Calories; 6g Total Fat; 2.7g Saturated Fat; 0.5g Polyunsaturated Fat; 2.2g Monounsaturated Fat; 0.2g Trans Fat; 102mg Cholesterol; 247mg Sodium; 381mg Potassium; 6.3g Total carbohydrate; 28g Protein; 3mg Iron; 5.1mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 104.7mg Choline; 2.4mcg Vitamin B12; 6.3mg Zinc; 26.3mcg Selenium; 0.4g Fiber.