2-3/4 to 3 hours
Makes 6 servings
Rustic Beef Caldo
Caldo = soup. This recipe = delicious! Chockfull of tender beef, vegetables and a rich broth, this will warm up any cold day.
- 3 pounds beef Shank Cross Cut, cut 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 medium ears corn, husked, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1/2 pound small red-skinned potatoes, cut in half or left whole if small
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini or Mexican zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef shanks, in batches, on all sides. Pour off drippings.
Return beef to stockpot. Add water, broth, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Add cabbage, corn, potatoes, onion and carrots to stockpot; return to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Add zucchini and tomatoes; simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
319 Calories; 10g Total Fat; 3g Saturated Fat; 4g Monounsaturated Fat; 81mg Cholesterol; 1141mg Sodium; 19g Total carbohydrate; 39g Protein; 5.1mg Iron; 7.8mg Niacin; 0.7mg Vitamin B6; 3.9mcg Vitamin B12; 11.5mg Zinc; 32mcg Selenium; 4.8g Fiber.