BEEF AS PART OF A HEART-HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Eating for a healthy heart and enjoying one of your favorite foods—these two things don’t have to be at odds with one another! Recent research1 on heart health shows that eating lean beef can actually be part of a solution to one of America’s greatest health challenges. What’s better? Not only can lean beef be part of a heart-healthy diet, but it can even help lower cholesterol as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle.
In a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, researchers from Penn State University found that people who participated in the Beef in an Optimal Lean Diet (BOLD) study, consuming lean beef daily as part of a heart-healthy diet, experienced a 10 percent decline in LDL "bad" cholesterol.
BOLD Meal Plan
You can follow a similar meal plan as the people who participated in the BOLD study by using heart-healthy recipes we’ve collected here.
Making Heart Health Easy & Delicious
Eating for a healthy heart can be a tasty endeavor. And it really isn’t complicated, especially when you consider that nine extra-lean beef cuts have been certified by the American Heart Association’s® Heart-Check program! Enjoy these cuts of extra-lean beef, which carry the American Heart Association® Heart-Check certification for foods that fit in an overall heart-healthy dietary pattern:
- Extra Lean Ground Beef (96% lean, 4% fat)
- Bottom Round Steak (USDA Select grade)
- Sirloin Steak (Solution Added)
- Sirloin Tip Steak (USDA Select grade)
- Top Sirloin Petite Roast, Boneless (USDA Select grade)
- Top Sirloin Strips (USDA Select grade)
- Top Sirloin Filet (USDA Select grade)
- Top Sirloin Kabob (USDA Select grade)
- Top Sirloin Steak, Boneless, Center Cut (USDA Select grade)
Heart Healthy Recipes
Enjoying lean beef in a heart-healthy lifestyle is easier than you think with these recipes featuring lean beef, fresh fruit and vegetables, and whole grains.