|Beef Fiesta Shells
Cut: Ground Round
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1 pound ground round beef
1 small white onion, chopped
1 small can chopped green chilies
1 cup grated reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 jar (12 oz) picante sauce (mild or medium)
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can french fried onion rings, divided
18 large pasta shells (stuffable kind)
- Cook pasta shells according to directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, picante sauce and one cup of water. Set aside.
- Brown meat with onions, salt and pepper. Add can of green chilies, 1/2 cup of cheese, half a can of onion rings and 1/2 cup of prepared sauce.
- Stuff shell with meat mixture. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining onion rings and cheese over the top. Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Makes 6 servings.
- This recipe can be converted to a casserole by omitting the large pasta shells and replacing with 1 12 oz. bag of medium-small pasta shells. Instead of stuffing shells, mix meat mixture with cooked small shells. Follow the rest of the original recipe.
Nutrition information per serving: 334 calories; 11.5 g fat; 48 mg cholesterol; 3.4 mg iron; 3.5 g saturated fat; 613 mg sodium